7 must haves at work according to employees

According to Gallup, PEW, and based off our own internal research at Dale Carnegie training, the current workforce has a serious disengagement problem.  According to the research it states that only 30% or so of the workforce is fully engaged.  Which means the other 70% of the workforce is just showing up, or even worse they are sabotaging the workforce because they are actively disengaged.

So what does it all mean.

Fully engaged employees:

  • Stay with organization longer
  • Contribute to bottom line
  • Commit to productivity and quality

Partially Engaged:

  • Concentrate on tasks not outcomes
  • Want to be told what to do
  • Do it, get paid, go home


  • Sow seeds of negativity
  • Sabotage progress
  • Express mistrust and animosity

The biggest contributing factor to engagement in the workplace has to do with the relationship an employee has with their immediate supervisor.  If they have a good relationship the employee is more apt to be fully engaged at work.  The feel like they are contributing and they also feel valued as an employee to the company.  The immediate manager has the most direct influence on these feelings.

So what can the immediate manager do:

Know what is expected of them: Against some people’s beliefs, all anyone really wants to know on the job is what is expected of them.  If they know what that is, then they can do it.  Uncertainty or unclear guidelines can be frustrating. Managers must establish this.

How is it measured: After they understand what is expected of them, the second thing they want to know is how are these expectations measured.  Again, clarity is the key.  A manager can say this is what you are responsible for and this is how we will measure whether you did it or not. Pretty simple stuff, so why don’t managers do it?

Have the equipment and resources to do the job:  Now that I know what is expected of me and how it is measured.  The next question is: Will you set me up for success.  Meaning: will you provide me with the equipment, the leads (sales), the tools for me to be successful?  The manager must clearly communicate how the individual will be supported.

Be given the opportunity to do what they do best, every day: I can tell you from my own experience as I am sure you can as well. All any of us want is an opportunity to do the very best we can. Meaning we have the right resources and support in place and then we are allowed to go out and make it happen. This kind of autonomy leads to highly engaged employees.

Have a manager or supervisor who cares about them:  I know some of you read the word care and cringe.  Well, care, means exactly what it means.  However, to take it a step further, it just means the manager or supervisor values the employees contribution to the team and what they bring to the company.

Be surrounded by employees who have a similar drive for quality: Nobody wants to be on a team where one of the team members are not pulling their weight.  We all have seen this before.  In a highly competitive world we truly are only as strong as our weakest link.  The immediate manager must address performance issues head on and quickly before it becomes a major problem.

Have opportunities to learn and grow: One of the basic desires for all human beings, is the desire to continue to grow and take on new challenges.  It has always been the case.  However, it is especially important to the millennial generation. They want to be exposed to more opportunities and they want constant feedback on ways they can get better. They appreciate additional training.

As the Managing Director of Dale Carnegie Training in Kentuckiana and Cincinnati we work with companies and individuals in implementing strategies to fight and correct engagement issues.

We do this by working with Senior Leaders on development plans for front line supervisors as well as the employees to ensure the right kind of environment is created within their companies.

If you are interested in learning more about these topics.  Email me.

To your success and your future.







Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com.